COVID-19 Vaccines Have Arrived: What You Need to Know
We have three documents with more information on the COVID-19 Vaccine from the Saginaw County Health Department. You can download them now or read more below.
The Benefits of the COVID-19 Vaccine
- COVID-19 vaccination will help keep you from getting COVID-19:
- COVID-19 vaccination will be a safer way to help build protection
- COVID-19 vaccination will be an important tool to help stop the pandemic
Read all of the details on the benefits of the vaccine.
How the COVID-19 Vaccination Works in the Body
Many vaccines put a weakened or inactivated germ into our bodies to trigger our immune systems. That’s NOT the case for most of the COVID-19 vaccines that are likely to be authorized for use in the United States.
You should know:
- mRNA vaccines do NOT use the live virus that causes COVID-19!
- They do not affect or interact with our DNA in any way.
- mRNA never enters the nucleus of the cell, which is where our genetic material is keps
- The cell breaks down and gets rid of the mRNA soon after it is finished using the instructions.
Find out more information on how the vaccine works in your body.
10 Things You Should Know About Vaccine Development
Consistent with our guidance throughout the pandemic, the COVID-19 vaccination is not something we can say is 100% effective nor 100% without risk. But it is an extremely promising tool in the fight against COVID-19 because it provides immunity to large portions of our community, which will reduce the spread significantly. Like everything, the vaccine is something you need to learn more about from trusted sources so you can make an informed, personal choice.
There’s much we still don’t know about the COVID-19 vaccine. But, there are significant developments and findings that you should be aware of as we await delivery and distribution.
Get even more information on COVID-19 and related resources on the State of Michigan’s Website.